Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Design @ Nine - Stacie Chavez

Many words come to mind when Stacie is mentioned, but the biggest one that outshines all the rest is “Sister”. We began our jewelry journey together when we started a small jewelry production company in the early 2000’s appropriately called Sisters, Inc. We later ended up here, with our then neighbor, Jay King & Desert Rose Trading. We don’t have titles at DRT so it’s difficult to explain everything each of us does –
Even though she is my sister, I look to this woman in ways that go way beyond family. You will never find her without a phone in hand or ear – we tease her about this – but often she has a few lines open at once trying to arrange a huge shipment of stones from a miner in Chile to a processor in Arizona to our manufacturer overseas. Like a Hindu goddess of the now, she is a communications expert, jewelry designer & master of the business. When you see a sparkle in a design you can be sure that Miss Stacie put it there. But Stacie can tell you what’s what, herself:

Stacie on the travel in Hawaii
I have loved jewelry and accessories for all of my life, so it is fair to say that I have my “dream” job. I found my love of being a rock hound at a very early age. I was blessed with an incredible Grandfather and Father that loved to go out and rock hunt. We would stop along any country road and turn over rocks for hours – I actually saw my first rattle snake on one of those trips. My love for jewelry and designing also came from my Grandfather. He had a lapidary shop set up in his garage and every Birthday and Christmas we would get some unique piece of jewelry that he had made especially for us. I still can remember the smell of the water when it hit the grinding stone. I would sit with him for hours out in his garage while he cut and polished stones. I believe that is where my love of stones evolved from. I still kick myself for not taking geology in college – I think I would have been a natural at.
Grandpa's handmade turquoise rings & a polished agate.
I have been with Desert Rose team for almost 7 years. We have a very unique group of people and I think it is safe to say we are one great big family. I get to work with some incredibly talented people on a daily basis and I cannot believe how we each in turn elevate one another to new levels.

Working with Jay over the years has been an incredible journey. I have been blessed with having had the experience to travel and learn from the man and the master. He has shown me some amazing places and I am truly thankful and grateful for getting to do what I do on a daily basis.
I am very lucky that I landed in the Southwest and get to be where I am – I traveled all the way from Maine to make my way to this time and space.

Smith & Wesson

"King of the Log!"
I have two sons in college, so it has been lonely at home – so I have filled a couple of extra spaces with two Great Pyrenees puppies, “Smith” and “Wesson”. I don’t know if it is because I am older or because I am more mature – yea right – but I have enjoyed these two big dogs beyond belief – I am so in love with the two “big guys” – I can hardly stand it.

Thank you for supporting us!

Stacie with Mr. Dooley - a baby Alpaca.
The Farm Family
Miss Leila - the cutie pie butterball Alapaca.

No comments:

Post a Comment