Thursday, August 5, 2010

Design @ Nine - Jill Erickson

Well, since I am the writer of the blog and most of our content and direct contact with the outside world here at www.desertrosedirect.com I guess I should introduce myself first – I’m Jill Erickson. I started with Desert Rose Trading over six years ago. Before here, I was one of those” lifers” in school. I studied everything from creative writing to biological anthropology and ended up with an arts degree– even now I’m thinking that I would like to study mechanical engineering (it never stops). During my last semester at school, jewelry appeared to me to be a great idea for Christmas gifts – I trying to give something to everyone & so I taught myself how to wire wrap. Needless to say, I was hooked! Since then I’ve taught myself to fabricate and create one of a kind pieces. Some of which have been incorporated into the long list of designs here at DRT.


When I create I think of the women close to me & imagine what they may like – my mother, who I love making jewelry for, loves everything, so with her it’s an easy match. I don’t blame her for adoring it all – she’s right – everything is beautiful. From turquoise to jasper to agates I can keep on opening up books or bags of rough and find something that I haven’t seen or known before. Every day really is an adventure here.

Usually I’m the girl behind the scenes, so…

This is me on a good day.
This is my favorite stone today - Maroon Birds Eye Rholite.  My favorite changes often!
I grew up & live in New Mexico.  The mountains (esp The Sandia's), big skies and a forever horizon just to the west always feels like home.

1 comment:

  1. I enjoy, admire and own lots of Jay King's mine finds. It is such an adventure and so mysterious to find and learn about these fabulous gems. M. J. Shively, Florida

    ReplyDelete